The Besançon Competition is open to all artists under 35 who wish to become professional conductors, whatever their training or their experience ; no previous diploma is required. The Besançon Competition is the only one where candidates are not selected on their documentation (biography) but during live auditions.
Steps and dates of the 56th Competition
Preliminaries – April and May 2019
Each candidate is required to conduct symphonic works performed by two pianos in front of two jury members.
David Berdery and Thomas Palmer
• Jury members
Yan Pascal Tortelier (Jury Chairman)
and Catherine Larsen Maguire
• 2019 Program:
Serguei Rachmaninoff, Symphonic Dances, opus 45
Transcription for two pianos
Edition Boosey et Hawkes
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Symphony no. 35 « Haffner » K.385
Orchestra score. Piano 1 = harmony. Piano 2 = strings.
Edition Breitkopf & Härtel
Final rounds – September 2019
The final rounds take place from 16 to 21 September 2019 in Besançon, during the 72nd edition of the Besançon Music Festival.
• All of the rounds with orchestra are open to the public. All works are imposed.
After the preliminaries only twenty candidates will be entered into the orchestra rounds to be held in Besançon in September.
• The candidates will either be asked to conduct entire pieces or excerpts, or to rehearse the artists under their musical direction, according to their interpretation or at the jury’s request.
The 20 candidates for the final rounds
- Mrs Anne-Louise Bourion, France (28 y.o.)
- Mr Hongjun Chen, China (22)
- Mr Laurent Comte, France (26)
- Mr Ivan Demidov, Russia (28) – Finalist 2017
- Mr Jeon Hee-Beom, South Korea (35) – 1/4 finalist 2017
- Mr Victor Jacob, France (28) – 1/2 finalist 2017
- Mr Georg Köhler, Germany (31)
- Mr Haoran Li, China (33)
- Mr Jingsong Lin, China (33)
- Mr Jonathan Mann, Great-Britain (33)
- Mr Léo Margue, France (29)
- Mrs Nodoka Okisawa, Japan (32)
- Mrs Silvina Peruglia, Spain/Argentina (33)
- Mrs Charlotte Politi, Italy/France (29)
- Mr Ngai Cheung Sit, Hong Kong (30) – Selected in 2017
- Mr Johann Stuckenbruck, USA (28)
- Mr Yu Sugimoto, Japan (29)
- Mr Federico Tibone, Italy (33)
- Mr Salvador Vazquez Sanchez, Spain (33)
- Mr Su-Han Yang, Taiwan (30) – 1/2 finalist 2017